A Century in Photographs
This website – and everyone interested in Keidan – owes an enormous debt of gratitude to the Kedainiai Regional Museum, whose director, Rimantas Zirgulis, has been the driving force behind efforts to preserve and commemorate the history of this complex, multicultural community.
Among the museum’s recent achievements is a book of photographs, titled (in Lithuanian) “Kėdainių šimtmetis fotografijose. 1918-2018,” which translates at “The Centenary of Kėdainiai in Photography. 1918-2018.” Rimantas recently put selections from the book on the Museum’s website, and has graciously permitted us to reproduce some here. To order a copy of the book, email the museum at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Soldiers of the Lithuanian 2nd artillery regiment march past Jewish businesses on Gediminas (now Didžioji) Street, 1934
Chaim Gurvich’s pharmacy on the corner of Gediminas (now-Didžioji) and P.Lukšio (now-Senoji) streets.
The Lithuanian Economy Bank, on the corner of Gedimino and Synagogue streets, above B.Feingold’s dry-goods shop.
The 2nd artillery regiment’s guns in the market square, near the Reformed (Calvinist) church.
The ‘shulhoyf’ -Keidan’s main synagogue complex, including the house of the kosher slaughterer, which was destroyed by Nazis in 1942.
Fishing and bathing in the Nevėžis (Neviazhe) river, near the St. George church, around 1937.
A paving crew in Šėta Street. Worker on the right believed to be Yitzhak Shlapobersky.
Along Gedimino Street by the marrket square. Jewish shops at right. Photo by Jokūbas Skrinska.
Tomatoes grown by the Golombik-Fridland-Štembach Co.
The “Ūkininkas“ (“Farmer“) winery, owned by E. Leinas.
Elementary school No.2, in the former town hall building.
Ice skating on the Dotnuvėlė river weir near the former manor house of Count Totleben,
Pupils near the old Kėdainiai gymnasium, 1923.
Josvainių street. Kagan’s hotel on the left.
A flooded market square in 1924.